Hamas militants launched a surprise attack on Israel, sending fighters over the border from Gaza and firing thousands of rockets, killing at least one person and injuring 15 others12345. Here are the key takeaways from the article:
- Hamas militants infiltrated Israeli territory from the Gaza Strip and fired rounds of rockets across Israel, killing at least one person and injuring 15 others12345.
- The escalation came during the Jewish sabbath and at the tail end of a series of Jewish holidays, during which Israel has restricted Palestinian exits from Gaza123.
- The attack is the biggest in recent years, with thousands of rockets launched into Israel from Gaza and dozens of militants entering Southern Israel5.
- Israel declared "a state of alert for war" and called up reserves after the attack12345.
- The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) said that it had launched a counterattack against Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip12345.
- The rocket fire prompted air-raid sirens to sound in Jerusalem, while explosions were heard in Tel Aviv12345.
The Historical Context
- Hamas and Israel have fought four wars since 2007, when the extremist group seized the coastal enclave and Israel and Egypt launched a land and sea blockade14.
- Israel controls nearly all crossings into and out of the territory, where the medical, water, and electricity systems have collapsed14.
- It remains to be seen how the attack will impact the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas12345.
- The attack is a reminder of the ongoing tensions in the region and the challenges facing efforts to achieve lasting peace12345.
The surprise attack by Hamas militants on Israel is a significant development that highlights the ongoing tensions in the region. Israel's response and declaration of "a state of alert for war" underscore the seriousness of the situation. It remains to be seen how the issue will be resolved in the future, but it is a reminder of the challenges facing efforts to achieve lasting peace in the region.