In a shocking incident that has sent ripples across the international community, an Egyptian policeman opened fire on Israeli tourists in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, resulting in the death of at least two Israelis and one Egyptian2. The attack took place at the Pompey’s Pillar site in Alexandria, a popular tourist destination2. Here are the key details from the incident:
- An Egyptian policeman opened fire on Israeli tourists in Alexandria, killing at least two Israelis and one Egyptian2.
- Another person was reportedly wounded in the attack2.
- The suspected assailant was detained by the authorities2.
- Graphic footage posted on social media showed two figures lying motionless on the ground at the tourist site, while another was seen being helped by a group of men2.
- The attack occurred as Israel was battling Palestinian militants after a major incursion from Gaza2.
- Egypt has long served as a mediator in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but anti-Israeli sentiment runs high in the country, especially during bouts of violence2.
- Security forces quickly cordoned off the site of the attack2.
- The incident has raised concerns about the safety of tourists in the region and could potentially impact Egypt's tourism industry12.
In conclusion, the tragic incident in Alexandria has not only resulted in the loss of lives but also raised serious concerns about the safety of tourists in the region. The attack comes at a time when Israel is already grappling with a major incursion from Gaza, adding another layer of complexity to the ongoing conflict in the region.