Rights groups condemn arrest of French journalist over defense reporting
- French journalist Ariane Lavrilleux was arrested and her home was searched in connection with a report by online media outlet Disclose that said French intelligence was being misused by Egypt12.
- Lavrilleux's report claimed that French intelligence intended to track jihadist militants but was being misused by Egypt to target smugglers on the Libyan border and kill civilians1.
- The publication of the report prompted France's armed forces minister to call for an investigation1.
- Rights groups, including Amnesty France and Reporters Without Borders, have condemned Lavrilleux's arrest and expressed concern about the potential threat to freedom of the press and confidentiality of sources12.
- The incident highlights the importance of protecting the freedom of the press and the need for transparency and accountability in government and intelligence agencies12.