Justice Department investigates Elon Musk's perks at Tesla
- The US Justice Department is investigating personal benefits that Tesla may have provided Elon Musk since 2017 as part of a criminal investigation examining issues including a proposed house for the CEO1.
- The investigation is part of a wider probe into Tesla, which includes two new federal probes over possible misuse of company resources by or for the personal benefit of Musk2.
- The investigation is not the first time Musk has been the subject of federal scrutiny. In 2018, the Justice Department opened an investigation into Musk's tweet about taking Tesla private, and the Securities and Exchange Commission launched its own investigation into Tesla and Musk34.
- The investigation highlights the potential conflicts of interest that can arise when a CEO receives personal benefits from the company they lead1.
- The investigation also underscores the importance of transparency and accountability in corporate governance, particularly in high-profile companies like Tesla2.