China's former foreign minister ousted over alleged affair
- Former Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang was ousted from his position after an internal Communist Party investigation found he had engaged in an extramarital affair throughout his tenure as Beijing's top envoy to Washington12.
- Qin remains under investigation for possible national security violations2.
- Qin was replaced by veteran diplomat Wang Yi in July after a mysterious one-month absence from duties35.
- The episode raises questions about President Xi Jinping's decision-making and the stability of the Chinese government, which is the world's second-largest economy6.
- The incident highlights the potential impact of personal behavior on political careers and the importance of maintaining high ethical standards in public office1.