As the holiday shopping season approaches, Amazon has announced that it will offer jobs to 250,000 people, along with an investment of $1.3 billion for increasing its wages. The investment into Amazon's wages will bring the company's average pay to over $20.50 per hour, with some locations offering up to $28 per hour. The new positions include full-time, part-time, and seasonal fulfillment center and transportation roles12.
Here are the key bullet points:
- Amazon is hiring 250,000 new workers for the holiday shopping season, including full-time, part-time, and seasonal fulfillment center and transportation roles12345.
- The company is investing $1.3 billion to increase its wages, bringing the average pay to over $20.50 per hour, with some locations offering up to $28 per hour1.
- The new positions will mark Amazon adding more than 800,000 jobs in the past five years, and the wage increase to an average of $20.5 per hour will mark an increase of more than 50% over five years1.
- In Texas, Amazon plans to hire 28,000 people, and in California, the company is hiring 30,000 seasonal workers to help deliver for customers this holiday season45.
- Despite slowing sales growth and predictions of a lackluster holiday shopping season, Amazon plans to keep seasonal hiring steady, with employees earning more than $19 an hour, on average, based on their position and location in the U.S.6.
Amazon's hiring spree for the holiday shopping season is expected to help the company meet the high demand for online shopping during the busiest time of the year.